oswThe counselling service recommended by Penryn Surgery is provided by Outlook South West (OSW). They have around 120 trained therapists and counsellors working across Cornwall to provide talking therapies for NHS patients. 

How do I arrange counselling?

If you think you would benefit from their services you can self refer by either collecting a self referral form from Penryn Surgery or you can self refer by filling out the online form on the OSW website -

Alternatively you can make an appointment with the GP and if they feel it is appropriate, they can then refer you to OSW  for an initial assessment session which may be done over the telephone. This appointment is for the counsellor to find out about your current difficulties and to discuss the different types of help available.

If you are at student at the Penryn Campus you can also make an appointment with the Student Support Services, who offer support and counselling. For more information please visit their website:


Will counselling help me?

Outlook South West can help with common mental health problems such as low mood, depression, anxiety, stress, phobias, panic, problems after trauma, and obsessive compulsive disorder.

All treatment is confidential and all records are stored securely. If the practitioner has serious concerns about any risk to yourself or others then they will need to tell your GP.


What if I am under 16?

If you are under 16 your GP can refer you to Cornwall’s Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service if they feel it is appropriate.

What about bereavement counselling?

Cruse Bereavement Care offer support and help to those who are grieving, following the death of someone close. Call them on 01726 76100 or go to  

What about relationship difficulties?

Relate - or call on 01726 74128

Who can help with Sexual Abuse and Domestic Violence?

CLEAR - Emotional Trauma and therapy specialists  Call 01872 261147

The Susie Project - Call 01209 699241

Where can I get counselling for Drug and Alcohol Problems?

Cornwall Alcohol and Drugs Agency (CADA) provide support for people with drug and alcohol problems. You do not need to see a GP to be referred to CADA, you can self refer by calling them on 01872 263001. For more information go to  

Alcoholics Anonymous is an informal meeting society for recovering alcoholics. AA meetings run on Tuesday and Friday evenings at the Killigrew Day Centre, Falmouth. Ring 01752 791111 or visit  for more info.

Frank - if you think a friend has a problem and you want to help them, you or your friend can call FRANK anytime on 0300 123 6600 for confidential advice.

They also provide a needle exchange at W.I Hall, 6 Webber Street, Falmouth .Tues 1pm-4pm. Boots Pharmacy on Market Street Falmouth also provide needle exchange.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website